The N3 southbound near Peter Brown Drive in Pietermaritzburg was closed on Thursday, 20 August 2026, after a truck carrying diesel crashed, spilling fuel across the carriageway before catching fire.
Emergency personnel responded to the scene shortly after 10:00, with the incident resulting in significant traffic disruption along the busy national route.

According to Mi7 Emergency Medical Services, multiple units were dispatched after reports were received of a serious motor vehicle accident on the Pietermaritzburg-bound carriageway near the Peter Brown Drive off-ramp.
However, access to the scene proved difficult due to the complete closure of the N3 and the resulting traffic congestion.
“With the N3 completely closed and vehicles already backed up, the Mi7 Advanced Life Support unit was unable to reach the scene by road. Paramedics grabbed their medical equipment, left their response vehicle behind and continued on foot for more than a kilometre to reach the patient,” said Mi7 EMS in its official statement.
Upon reaching the scene, emergency personnel found the truck extensively engulfed in flames.
According to Mi7 EMS, bystanders and fellow truck drivers had already intervened, removing the driver from the wreckage and moving him down an embankment to safety.
“Mi7 paramedics made their way down the embankment, where they found the driver suffering from severe burns. He was stabilised on scene before being transported to a specialist hospital for further treatment,” said Mi7 EMS.
Furthermore, Road Angels South Africa separately reported that the injured driver was transported to Midlands Hospital for further medical care.
The organisation further indicated that flammable goods which had not caught alight were moved away from the burning vehicle in an effort to prevent the incident from escalating.
The fuel spillage across the roadway was also confirmed by Road Traffic Inspectorate personnel, Road Angels South Africa and Mi7 EMS.

As emergency services continued managing the scene, Road Angels South Africa advised motorists to expect continued delays. The N3 southbound near the Peter Brown Drive exit remained closed at the time of the latest available update, while the northbound carriageway beyond the Peter Brown Drive exit had been cleared.
Motorists travelling through the area are advised to remain alert, follow instructions from traffic authorities and anticipate delays until emergency operations and clearance work have been completed.
Be safe and roads and when you have a gap be sure to read: Riverside Industria’s Damaged Roads Hit Businesses and Emergency Services











