Despite bitterly cold, wet and icy conditions across parts of KwaZulu-Natal, the N3 Toll Route remains open between Cedara and Heidelberg, with motorists being warned not to rely on unverified road-closure reports circulating on social media.
The clarification follows an official traffic update issued by the N3 Toll Concession (N3TC) on Wednesday, 12 August 2026.

To every Durban reader who continues to read, share and engage with our reporting—thank you for being part of our growing KZN readership
According to N3TC, no closure had been implemented along the route between Cedara in KwaZulu-Natal and Heidelberg in Gauteng, despite difficult winter driving conditions caused by freezing temperatures, rain, light snowfall and ice.
The update comes after messages began circulating online claiming that the N3 had been completely closed between Estcourt and Harrismith.
The same messages also alleged that Van Reenen’s Pass, the R617, R74 and R103 had been closed and that freight trucks were prohibited from travelling along the N3 corridor.
Refuting the claims relating to the N3, the toll concession stated:
“Despite challenging winter conditions experienced across parts of the N3 Toll Route since the current cold front moved into the region on Sunday evening (9 August 2026), there has been no closure of the N3 Toll Route between Cedara in KwaZulu-Natal and Heidelberg in Gauteng. Freezing temperatures, rain, light snowfall and icy conditions have, however, created difficult driving conditions along the route.”
N3TC said its teams and partners within the Road Incident Management System had continued working to keep the route open while protecting road users.
“Information being circulated to the contrary is incorrect. Motorists and other stakeholders are urged to rely on N3TC’s official communication channels for verified information about the status of the N3 Toll Route and to carefully consider before sharing unverified information,” it added.
Should traffic-control measures or a temporary closure become necessary, N3TC said an official alert would immediately be distributed through relevant media outlets and its digital platforms.
At the time of its update, the concession advised motorists to continue driving with extreme caution and to prepare for conditions to change rapidly.
Beyond the N3, Road Angels South Africa reported that the routes between Vryheid and Dundee, as well as Blood River and Utrecht, remained open. However, motorists were warned to expect wet road surfaces.
The N11 was also reported open between Newcastle and Ladysmith and between Newcastle and Volksrust, although similarly wet conditions required additional caution.
Routes from Vryheid towards Paulpietersburg and Piet Retief were open, as were the roads connecting Melmoth and Pongola.
Drivers travelling through these areas were nevertheless advised to reduce their speed, increase following distances and remain alert to changing conditions.
Meanwhile, the South African Weather Service said cloudy, cold to very cold and windy conditions were expected to persist across the central and eastern parts of the country.
Isolated to scattered rain and showers remained possible across KwaZulu-Natal, the Free State, Mpumalanga, the North West and eastern parts of the Eastern Cape.
Conditions were expected to begin improving gradually from Thursday afternoon, 13 August 2026.
Motorists can obtain verified N3 updates through the N3TC website, its official social media accounts or its 24-hour helpline on 0800 63 43 57.

Road conditions may change at short notice. Motorists planning to travel are therefore encouraged to check official updates immediately before departing.
Stay safe and be sure to read: Cabinet Approves 10-Year Driving Licence Validity — but Change Is Not Yet Law











