Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
After the last three hugely successful Starlight Production Birding Weekends with James Rawdon, Thanda Safari is pleased to welcome James back for the fourth Bird Ringing Weekend which will take place from Friday 22 to Sunday 24 October 2021.
Rawdon, who originally studied biology and worked for many years in the South African and Botswana bush has always been involved in nature and conservation and had a keen interest in birds. He pursued bird ringing as a hobby and later obtained his bird-ringing license in 2012. He has been ringing birds (and sharing his passion for birds) at various sites in and around KwaZulu-Natal ever since.
Download the Thanda Safari Bird Sightings List below
“Bird ringing allows you to see the birds up close”, he says, “and it provides a wonderful opportunity to teach children and adults about birds, conservation and the preservation of their natural resources”.James Rawdon
Thanda Safari, a 5-star private game reserve set in an ancient landscape in the northern reaches of Zululand, KwaZulu Natal where the Great Rift Valley meets the Lebombo Mountains and home to all of the Big Five, a wide variety of other animals, and a plethora of birds, offers the perfect environment for this unique opportunity. Guests will experience first-hand how wild birds -including returning migratory birds – are caught, ringed and released.
A Birding Weekend with James Rawdon – a fascinating and fun activity for the whole family which allows you to truly appreciate the beauty of some of Africa’s birds.
- Date: Friday 22 to Sunday 24 October 2021
- Price: From R2 995 per person, per night sharing at Thanda Tented Camp
- Package includes:
- accommodation – two nights double occupancy at the luxurious Thanda Tented Camp – spacious colonial safari-style tents with en-suite bathroom and private viewing deck
- two game drives daily with guide and tracker
- Bird Ringing exercise – Saturday and Sunday morning (guests will spend time with James and the Thanda Wildlife team and handle, hold and release birds)
- all meals
- selected local beverages (soft drinks, house wines, spirits and beers)
- Excluded: conservation levy of R200 per person per stay, gratuities and all items of a personal nature.
Terms and conditions apply.
Thanda Safari is a proud member of The Leading Hotels of the World, a multiple winner of The World’s Leading Luxury Lodge award, ranked as one of the 20 Top Resorts in South Africa in the 2020 Condé Nast Traveller Awards, and more recently was winner at the 27th World Travel Awards for World’s Leading Luxury Private Villa 2020: Villa iZulu at Thanda Safari, South Africa and World’s Leading Safari Lodge 2020: Thanda Safari Lodge at Thanda Safari, South Africa.
At Thanda Safari you are guaranteed a unique African experience and exclusive close-up encounters with Africa’s Big Five.
Booking is essential – to make your reservations contact:
- E: email@example.com
- T: +27 (0) 32 586 0149 | www.thandasafari.co.za
- Facebook/Instagram: thandasafari
- Twitter: Thanda_
In keeping with new protocols regarding the Coronavirus, Thanda Safari is adhering to stringent health and safety cleaning protocols – the safety of guests and staff being of the highest priority.
About Thanda Safari
Thanda Safari is a Big Five game reserve situated on 14 000 hectares in the heart of Zululand, KwaZulu-Natal, owned by Swedish philanthropists Christin and Dan Olofsson. It offers an authentic South African wildlife experience with excellent game viewing all year round and has a sincere commitment to the Zulu culture and conservation of the environment. It is actively involved in conservation and wildlife research and works to uplift the local communities through ‘Star for Life’ and other projects. Meaning ‘love’ in isiZulu, Thanda Safari is a proud member of The Leading Hotels of the World, a multiple winner of The World’s Leading Luxury Lodge award, ranked as one of the 20 Top Resorts in South Africa in the 2020 Condé Nast Traveller Awards, and more recently was winner at the 27th World Travel Awards for World’s Leading Luxury Private Villa 2020: Villa iZulu at Thanda Safari, South Africa and World’s Leading Safari Lodge 2020: Thanda Safari Lodge at Thanda Safari, South Africa.
Thanda Safari offers three different accommodation types, Thanda Safari Lodge, Villa iZulu and Thanda Tented Camp.
- Thanda Safari Lodge has nine bush suites – shaped like a traditional Zulu homestead, the suites have panoramic views of the surrounding game reserve.
- Villa iZulu is an outstanding safari hideaway for families, holidaymakers and wedding parties wanting privacy – situated amidst lush green lawns and surrounded by expanses of wild African bush, Villa iZulu can accommodate 10 guests in five suites.
- Thanda Tented Camp features 15 colonial safari-style tents, each with its own viewing deck and en-suite bathrooms
Thanda Safari is situated 23km north of Hluhluwe on the N2, approximately 220km north of Durban, and is easily accessible from the N2 by gravel road (no 4×4 required). Richards Bay is the closest commercial airport, with King Shaka International Airport, Durban being the closest international airport. Road transfers are available from and to Durban and Richards Bay Airports.
This post and content is sponsored and provided by Behind the Scenes Communications