Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
People are waiting for the final results for the Local Government Elections with bated breath. Therefore, here are the latest results to put your minds at ease.
The Electoral Commission (IEC) announced on Wednesday, 3 November 2021, that vote counting for the 2021 Municipal Elections had been completed.
“At the level of capturing, 96.9% of results are already in the system awaiting scanning and auditing. This means of the 64 502 results expected, 62 500 have been captured into the results system,” IEC General Manager: Electoral Matters Granville Abrahams said.
Offering reassurance to people, he said, “We have auditors at all of our capturing sites. We also have the national audit manager for the project monitoring the operations. These are independent auditors. It’s not the IEC’s internal audit function,” Abrahams clarified.
The auditors ensure that the information on the form matches the information in the system. Nobody knows the auditor’s unique code for entering the results into the system.
“Once all of those controls are done, the result is cleared. 96.9% of all result slips have been captured and stored in the system. The remaining 3.1% is focused primarily in KwaZulu-Natal, Limpopo and Gauteng.
According to Abrahams, the IEC is not behind schedule in finalising the results, which must be announced within seven days of the election.
What are the election results for Newcastle wards, KwaZulu-Natal, thus far?
The IEC is expected to release the final results during the day. With the results setting the tone for what is to come, what are your initial thoughts?
Share your thoughts in the comments section below.