An armed robbery on Saturday, 21 January 2023, led law enforcement to apprehend two men believed to be responsible for the spate of residential and business armed robberies across Newcastle, KwaZulu Natal.
According to Newcastle Crime Fighter Task Team’s Imran Ghafoor, the chain of events began with yet another business robbery. This time, however, on Paterson Street.
He explained that the robbers entered the business premises before pulling a firearm out and using it to threaten the personnel.
The men were then fortunately disturbed and decided to flee the scene. However, law enforcement had already been contacted. “One suspect was chased and arrested not far from the scene.”
With law enforcement already having one of the men in custody, the team set out to apprehend the second suspect.
“Later on, during the evening, an operation was conducted,” said Ghafoor.
Through their combined efforts, Ghafoor explained that information indicated that the two men were part of a syndicate involved in the armed business and residential robberies hammering Newcastle over the past weeks.
Thanks to additional information, the law enforcement team was able to track the suspects’ safe house in Arbor Park.
“The suspect was not located in the house. However, the house was searched, and explosives suspected to be used in ATM bombings or safe bombings were found,” explained Ghafoor.
Further intel was then followed up and the second suspect was located in the CBD. The man was subsequently arrested, and the vehicle used in the robbery was booked into the Newcastle SAPS.
Additionally. Ghafoor said the following items were found at the safe house.
- Two firearms
- One vehicle
- Five explosives
- One cellphone that was suspected to be taken during the robbery, and gloves.
“The suspects were positively linked to the house robberies that occurred,” he added.
With Ghafoor complimenting the law enforcement team on a job well done, what are your thoughts on the above-mentioned? Share your views in the comment section below.