Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
Two Madadeni, KZN siblings have passed away, while their nephew is currently in hospital. This was after they allegedly ingested a packet of spoiled mince.
According to an official police source, the tragic event unfolded after a woman from Section 4, Madadeni, went to wake up her 45-year-old brother on Saturday morning, 22 October 2022.
“It is alleged by the woman, that she arrived home from work at 8 am and tried to wake up her brother, only to find that he was frothing from the mouth. She went to the outside room to get her other brother, but he didn’t respond,” explained the source.
Worried about her siblings, the source further explained that the woman then called for her twin brothers, who were also in the backroom. When the woman went back into the house, she found that her 15-year-old nephew was also sick, with him explaining that he had been vomiting the entire night.
Upon returning to her brother who had been frothing at the mouth, the woman and other family members found him now lying in vomit and faeces. It was then that the ambulance was contacted.
However, not long after paramedics arrived on the scene, the woman’s brothers were sadly declared dead.
According to the officer, the woman had apparently cooked cabbage and porridge before leaving for work at 4pm on Friday, 21 October 2022.
While some of her family ate the meal with no side-effects, it was after her 45-year-old brother returned home from work that things took a horrid turn.
He apparently worked for one of the country’s largest supermarket chains in Madadeni, and bought mince from the store which he then added to the cabbage his sister had made. He then ate the meal, alongside his brother and 15-year-old nephew.
The nephew was taken to hospital and is currently in a stable condition.
The attending doctor at the hospital was requested to draw blood from the teenage boy to determine toxicology for traces of any poisonous substance in his blood
“The family reported no problems or disputes among the deceased and other members of the house,” elaborated the police source.
Moreover, Madadeni SAPS spokesperson, Constable Langa confirmed that the Madadeni SAPS had opened an inquest to elaborate on the exact cause of death. “The docket is still under investigation,” she confirmed.
What are your thoughts on the above-mentioned? Share your views in the comment section below.