17 people, including one baby, died following two collisions

Estimated reading time: 3 minutes

Seven people, including two children, lost their lives on Saturday night, 16 July 2022, following a collision on the N11, heading towards Newcastle, KwaZulu-Natal after the Elandslaagte turn-off.

The KwaZulu-Natal Department of Transport stated that the crash, involving three vehicles, occurred just after 6 pm.

ER24 pointed out that the three vehicles included a bakkie and two light motor vehicles. According to the emergency medical services, ER24 arrived on the scene at 6:30 pm to find the Provincial EMS already in attendance.

“On closer inspection, medics found three wrecked vehicles in the middle of the road. Several patients were lying scattered around the vehicles,” ER24 said.

Unfortunately, six people had already succumbed to their injuries.

Five other patients were tended to on the scene. “A man, woman and two children, a boy aged 13 and a girl aged 5, were in critical condition, while another girl, believed to be 14 years old sustained minor injuries,” explained ER24.

The patients were treated and provided with advanced life support before they were transported to Ladysmith Provincial Hospital for urgent care.

Image credit: ER24

According to ER24, the critically injured man succumbed to his injuries at the hospital, pushing the death toll to seven.

Furthermore, one of the vehicles set alight after the collision. Receiving the call, the Alfred Duma (Ladysmith) Municipality’s firefighters rushed to the scene to extinguish the flames.

The details surrounding this incident are unknown, but local authorities were on the scene for further investigations.

However, the KZN Department of Transport pointed out that this was not the only serious crash on KZN’s roads this past weekend.

The second incident took place on the R617, between Howick and Mpophonemi.

“Preliminary reports suggest that a minibus taxi carrying people who are believed to be relatives and neighbours, travelling from a function in Impendle to Umlazi had stopped on the side of the road, after one of its occupants allegedly jumped off the moving minibus taxi and subsequently died,” told the Department.

Private security officers patrolling the area notified the police of the incident.

While the police were still busy with their investigations, passengers from the minibus taxi and private security personnel were standing alongside the road. The Department said during this time, a Toyota bakkie apparently travelling at a very high speed approached from behind and collided with the people standing alongside the road and motor vehicles, including the SAPS van, the mini taxi and a private security motor vehicle.

A total of 10 people died at the scene and two people later died in hospital, one of them being a 37-year-old police sergeant stationed at Mpophomeni Police Station.

The Acting MEC for Transport, Community Safety and Liaison, Jomo Sibiya said, “We have called for the police to thoroughly investigate the circumstances surrounding these accidents. Drivers must respect the traffic rules and work with us and the police to save lives on the road”.

Pixelfish Marketing and the Newcastillian – Online News send our heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of the deceased. 

Share your views in the comment section below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.