Massive manhunt after multiple police attacked in KZN and GP

Estimated reading time: 3 minutes

Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal police have mobilised the 72-hour Activation Plan as several police officers were attacked in separate incidents within the last 48 hours.

Police spokesperson Colonel Athlenda Mathe explains that the 72-hour Activation Plan entails the mobilisation of various disciplines of the SAPS, including Crime Intelligence, Forensic experts, detectives, specialised tactical units, and the Hawks. This in a bid to apprehend a group of suspects who were behind the attack on the police officers.

In the latest incident in the early hours of Tuesday, 5 October 2021 in Orange Farm, Gauteng, two police officials were patrolling in an unmarked police vehicle when they noticed an abandoned bakkie on the side of the road.

Colonel Mathe explains, “As the police officers approached the abandoned vehicle to investigate, a group of suspects opened fire on them, wounding both members. Sadly, a reservist constable died at the scene. The other member survived the ordeal, and he has been hospitalised. The group of suspects fled the scene taking with them the keys of the police vehicle. A case of Murder and Attempted Murder have been registered.”

The second incident occurred in Sydenham KwaZulu-Natal, when police officers were conducting patrols along Locksley Drive on Monday morning, 4 October 2021, when they spotted a suspicious vehicle with three occupants.

As the said vehicle was approached, the suspects fired shots, resulting in a shootout between the police and the suspects. The police spokesperson states that a police officer was wounded and taken to hospital for medical attention. 

The suspects fled the scene on foot, leaving behind an unlicensed firearm and a stolen vehicle inow in police custody. A case of attempted murder has been registered.

Still, in Kwa-Zulu Natal, a police officer died on the evening of Sunday, 03 October 2021, and two others were wounded in Greytown.

Two officers were driving from Greytown to Tugela Ferry when they stopped alongside the road. Colonel Mathe says, “An unknown motor vehicle stopped beside the police vehicle and shot both members. Both members managed to drive to a nearby hospital for medical care. Sadly, one of them, a SAPS constable, succumbed to his injuries and the other member is still receiving medical care at a local health facility in KZN.”

Another attack occurred when an officer was walking alongside the railway line between Gugulethu and Nhlalakahle Location. Two unknown African males accosted him. One of the men demanded cash and cellphones.

According to Colonel Mathe, the officer surrendered his possessions and, after that, managed to draw his state firearm where he shot one of the suspects. The other suspect managed to shoot the officer in the leg before managing to get away.

The wounded suspect succumbed to his injuries on the scene and possessed the member’s stolen items. Two unlicensed firearms were also located next to the body of the deceased suspect. A case of attempted murder, inquest, and armed robbery has been registered.

The National Commissioner of the SAPS has condemned the attack and killing of the police officials and directed both the Provincial Commissioners of KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng to implement the 72-hour activation plan to hunt down the suspects in all cases.

The National Commissioner has also conveyed his condolences to the deceased members’ family, friends, and colleagues and wished all injured members a speedy recovery.

The SAPS now appeals to anyone who may have information on these attacks not to hesitate to contact the SAPS on 086 00 10111.

Information may also be communicated via MySAPSApp, an application can be downloaded on any iPhone or Android.

All information will be treated with the strictest confidence, and callers may remain anonymous.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Share your views in the comment section below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *